STEPS Program Guidelines
Métis Nation British Columbia (MNBC) is committed to improving Citizens’ experiences when accessing programs and services. In 2021, MNBC conducted a thorough review of its Skills Training, Employment & Post-Secondary (STEPS) funded program guidelines and released these Standards of Practice (SOP) to the public for the first time to ensure transparency and accountability to our Citizens and funders. These guidelines are in effect until March 31st, 2023.
STEPS Standards of Practice - 2022
Based on feedback received over the last year from STEPS staff, MNBC Citizens, and Métis Chartered Communities, STEPS has updated the Standards of Practice (SOP). These guidelines apply to any programs that start on or after April 1st, 2023. Please click the link below to access the updated SOP and a summary of the changes.
STEPS Standards of Practice - 2023
To be eligible to apply for MNBC services you must be a Citizen or have an active application with the Registry.
- An active application means that you are actively pursuing your MNBC Métis citizenship. If you are just starting the application process, the minimum amount of documentation required is:
- An application for citizenship filled out with your signature.
- A photo. Please see photo guidelines.
- Proof of residency, such as a copy of your BC driver's license or BC identification card.
- A copy of your long form birth certificate showing your parents' names, or have this document on order with vital statistics in the province you were born in.
Note: You must continue to work with registry staff to obtain all missing elements until your application is complete to maintain your active applications status.
STEPS Program Application (Programs that start before April 01, 2023)
STEPS Program Application (Programs that start on or after April 01,2023)
Completed applications and supporting information can be sent to:
- STEPS-R1@mnbc.ca – Region 1 Vancouver Island & Powell River
- STEPS-R2@mnbc.ca – Region 2 Lower Mainland
- STEPS-R3@mnbc.ca – Region 3 Thompson & Okanagan
- STEPS-R4@mnbc.ca – Region 4 Kootenays
- STEPS-R5@mnbc.ca – Region 5 North Central
- STEPS-R6@mnbc.ca – Region 6 Northwest
- STEPS-R7@mnbc.ca – Region 7 Northeast
MNBC’s Skills Training, Employment, and Post-Secondary (STEPS) programs offer a range of support programs for Métis trainees, jobseekers, and scholars. If you are looking to upgrade your skills, for advice on your job search, or to continue your education, we may be able to help.
- Canada Red Seal Program
- Fillable STEPS Career Placement Practicum Application
- Fillable STEPS Wage Subsidy Application
- Skilled Trades BC
Job Board & Current Training Opportunities