The Métis Rent Supplement Program (MRSP) supports low-income Métis renter citizens with rent supplement payments for a temporary period. Individuals and Families spending more than 30% of their household income on rent may qualify for a payment up to a maximum of $475 a month. The payments are delivered to the applicant through an electronic funds transfer (EFT).
In the sixth month, the applicant must complete and submit a housing needs questionnaire to MNBC which will allow MNBC to determine continued eligibility for the program. The questionnaire will also allow MNBC to identify additional MNBC services or programs that may help move individuals and families toward rent stability.
The MRSP is a non-taxable benefit. It’s recommended that citizens report payments received through this program to the appropriate organization as it may affect other social assistance payments.
Program Eligibility Criteria:
The applicant must:
- be an MNBC citizen, verified by providing a copy of their MNBC citizenship card;
- be a resident of BC for at least one year, verified by providing one piece of Government of BC issued photo identification, including: BC Identification Card (BCID) or Driver’s License;
- be in affordability need, which means the applicant’s household is spending more than 30% of their gross annual household income on rent;
- have a total gross annual household income of $54,000.00 or less. The most current Notice of Assessment (NOA) from Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is the only acceptable proof of income. Please provide the most current NOA for all household members 19 years of age or older. If you do not have your Notice of Assessment, you can obtain one by logging into your CRA My Account at My Account for Individuals - Canada.ca or calling CRA at 1-800-959-8281; and
- provide their current Residential Tenancy Act (RTA) compliant Rental Agreement from their landlord.
Applicants are ineligible if any of the following apply:
- if they are living in subsidized housing (i.e., BC Housing, CMHC or non-profit housing society);
- if they are currently receiving a rental subsidy/supplement from another organization, such as BC Housing’s Shelter Aid for Elderly Renters (SAFER) and Rental Assistance Program (RAP);
- if they are receiving Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS);
- if they own property.
*One application accepted per household. *
If you would like to apply for the MRSP, please complete the application form and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail it to #380- 13401 108 Avenue, Surrey, B.C. V3T 5T3.
If technology is a struggle for you, please connect with MNBC, your local Chartered Community or a family member for assistance.
For PDF applications please email the completed form to email@example.com.