Surrey, BC (November 3, 2021) – Métis Nation British Columbia is proud to announce a reimagined rent supplement program for Métis citizens across BC. Housing is a priority area of concern for our Métis communities in B.C. where immediate action is needed to improve the well-being, and socio-economic conditions of our citizens.
“As we move through the fourth wave, what we hope will be the end of the pandemic, it is important to keep our communities strong,” says Dean Gladue, MNBC Minister of Housing and Homelessness. “The Métis Housing Rent Supplement Program will provide citizens with the opportunity to find employment, seek training/education, while receiving these supplement payments, as we work toward building a stronger nation. Long live the Métis.”
The Métis Housing Rent Supplement Program will pay 30% of the tenants monthly rent amount directly to the applicant, with a maximum yearly amount of $5,700.00 (maximum monthly amount of $475.00).
“This new rent supplement program will ensure the program is sustainable in the long-term,” says Lissa Dawn Smith, MNBC Acting President. “Ensuring that Métis Citizens have access to supports like this is a key goal of our Cabinet.”
The new Métis Housing Rent Supplement Program comes off the heels of the previous pilot pandemic emergency programs. The pilot programs saw both the Youth and Senior populations well represented consisting of 30% of the applicants. Women applicants consisted of 60% of the overall pilot housing applications. The Métis Rent Supplement Program will continue to provide support for these groups and individuals that have an income below $54,000 per year and not currently on any other rental subsidies programs such as, BC Housing’s Rental Assistance Program (RAP), or Shelter Aid for Elderly Renters (SAFER).
- MNBC citizenship or a bona fide MNBC registry citizenship application in progress.
- Resident of B.C. for at least one year. (Copy of BC ID card maybe requested) or can determined on a case-by-case basis.
- Income threshold of $54,000.00 or less for household income (Current NOA from CRA, or four recent pay stubs)
- Tenancy agreement.
- Reason for application and telephone interview
Processing the rent supplement – Stages of Processing:
- Intake process includes:
- Determination of eligibility
- Application completeness
- Telephone interview
- Creation of file management folder for successful applicant
- Determine rent amount
- Length of support
- Approval & Not Eligible letters go out
- Approval notifications to applicants
- Final approval process to Director’s final signature
- Movement to finance
- Scheduling consecutive payments
- Compulsory completion of questionnaire at 6 months, to qualify for additional 6 months of funding
If you have trouble applying email firstname.lastname@example.org.