Housing and HOmelessness
Housing and Homelessness
Working to ensure a safe place for every Métis to call home.
Contact The Ministry
#380 – 13401 108 Ave
Toll free: 1-800-940-1150
MA NÎĶI MÉTIS HOME RENOVATION PROGRAM
The funding format: Funds for this program are allocated via the Metis-Canada-Housing Sub-Accord. The program will provide up to $20,000 per applicant of a non-repayable grant, provided the homeowner(s) retain ownership of their home for at least five years from receipt of the grant. If the house is sold prior to five years of the approved grant date, the grant must be immediately repaid in full to MNBC.
Additionally, the new renovation program will be flexible to allow emergency support repairs to those that may not fit the age criteria but are within the income threshold, to have immediate emergency repairs done on their home, approved on a case-by-case basis. By reserving 5% ($50,000) of the budget for emergency repair such as furnace and hot water tanks.
Program Criteria Overview
• Maximum funding per household / applicant: $20,000
• Age of citizen on general application is minimum of 60 years and older (couples – only one spouse needs to be 60 or older)
• Citizen of MNBC and resident of British Columbia for at least one year
• Property ownership and principal residence
• Mobile or manufactured homeowner on non-owned land also qualify for the program
• Eligibility – Income threshold must be below
o Single senior with total gross income of $46,000 per year or less
o Senior couple with a total gross income of $66,000 per year or less
o Emergency repairs determined by a case-by-case basis and within income threshold
Eligible Repairs and Improvements
• Fire or smoke alarms
• Plumbing (toilets, sinks, showers)
• Replacement of siding
• Water supply
• Mobile home skirting/Leveling
• Hot water tank
• Septic system
• Door replacement
• Insulation (ceiling, walls)
• Mobility access
• Floor coverings
MÉTIS HOUSING RENT SUPPLEMENT PROGRAM
Applicants qualifying for assistance through this program will need to demonstrate eligibility by:
- MNBC citizenship or a bona fide MNBC registry citizenship application in progress.
- Resident of BC for at least one year. (Copy of BC ID card maybe requested) or can determined on a case-by-case basis.
- Income threshold of $54,000.00 or less for household income (Current NOA from CRA, or 4 recent pay stubs)
- Tenancy agreement.
- Reason for application and telephone interview.
Processing the rent supplement
• Intake process includes determination of eligibility, and application completeness.
• Creation of file management folder, for record-keeping and primary documentation compilation.
• Approval process includes Director’s final signature, and movement to finance.
• Detail documentation involves updating spreadsheets, folders and updating finance information.
• Scheduling consecutive payments
COVID-19 EMERGENCY SHELTER APPLICATION
Many Metis Nation BC citizens have been put at risk due to the Covid-19 pandemic with some finding themselves in a situation where they do not have access to shelter or basic amenities and are in need of immediate financial assistance.
The MNBC Covid-19 Emergency Shelter Support Fund is available to those MNBC Citizens who have exhausted ALL OTHER OPTIONS for shelter. The hardships experienced must be a direct result of Covid-19.
- Eligibility will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
- The applicant must have exhausted ALL OTHER LOCAL SHELTER OPTIONS prior to application for this support fund. Only once all other resources have been exhausted will the MNBC Emergency Shelter Support fund be made available.
Any required documents necessary for the Emergency Shelter Supplement will be determined upon discussion with the applicant of the specific immediate needs.
- The Emergency Shelter Support fund can only be accessed during business hours. Any requests made on the weekend or outside of business hours will be addressed on the following business day.
- If a Shelter Bed (or other forms of shelter) becomes available, the participant is required to begin accessing the available shelter resource and the MNBC Emergency Shelter Support will be withdrawn.
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact:
Toll Free: 1-800-940-1150 | Office: 604-557-5851
The Métis Nation BC is committed to ensuring our people have access to affordable housing and where possible that our seniors are afforded the opportunity to age-in-place.
Our Made for Métis Housing Strategy will be implemented over multiple years and seeks to develop partnerships to both construct and facilitate the development of new housing options. It is equally important that we also focus on both preventing homelessness as well as helping those who have been directly impacted by it.
Our new Ministry of Housing and Homelessness is actively engaged in presenting housing and homelessness solutions to our President and the Board of Directors for their consideration.
The first program we launched is Ma Nîķi which helps to support seniors (65+) who are in need of assistance to upgrade their homes. The pilot program provides up to $20,000 per household to be eligible Métis citizens who qualify as part of the terms of conditions.
Over the coming months we intend to continue developing new programs and take further action which will improve the lives of Métis families across B.C. If you have an idea, suggestion of feedback regarding the Ministry of Housing and Homelessness, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.